The popularity of fidget spinners has taken over the world. Everywhere you go, you see a person with a fidget spinner spinning away their time. But recently a US government body released a safety guidance targeted at battery-operated fidget spinners after one of the toys caught fire. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) stepped in to advice people to avoid charging the toys overnight. The craze has upped so much that some of the spinners are Bluetooth-enabled.
The CPSC strictly wants children to cut down on the usage of the toy, as it compromises their safety. The spinners should be kept far away from their mouths. Acting against the purpose of its creation which was to help people with anxiety and stress, it is the cause of some major accidents. Both adults and children are being guided to refrain from it. Ann Marie Buerkle who is the CPSC’s acting chairwoman stated that “Fidget spinner users or potential buyers should take some precautions. Keep them from small children. The plastic and metal spinners can break and release small pieces that can be a choking hazard, and older children should not put fidget spinners in their mouths.”
Now the commission is aiming to get all the fidget spinners to be marketed at children of age 12 and under meet the US Toy Standard ASTM F963-16. Then only anyone should be allowed to make use of the stress relieving toy.
There were even cases of fire hazards
Recently in June, fidget spinner which was a Bluetooth-enabled, played music suddenly burst into flames. This happened after being left to charge for 45 minutes. The horrific incident took place in a family home in Alabama, anyone could be left hurt in this spectacle of concern, but it only left a burn on the carpet later being discovered by one of the family members before it was able to incur more damage.
Then yet again, in May, another battery-operated fidget spinner toy had caught fire after being charged for less than half an hour. The same pattern manifested here as well. One could say that the toy was not stable enough for public use. The family did not get a charger along with the toy, so they made use of a spare one. But Ms Buerkle commented, “Like any battery-operated product, consumers should be present and pay attention to their devices while charging them.”
Well, let us hope that this problem is solved before any life threating damage is done.