When you try to send or receive e-mail, you might have come across the message like Outlook data file cannot be located. This Outlook data file cannot be opened message is seen while using Outlook 10 or Outlook 13. This message sometimes becomes very irritating for it does not allow you to send or receive any messages. The following error appears in the middle of the sending email and pops up as “Error 0x8004010F: Outlook data file cannot be accessed”. The above error occurs when the Outlook profile has got corrupted or when you have transferred your Outlook.PST file. Well if you have ever come across such failure message of 0x8004010f outlook 2017 error then here I am after research providing you with the solution to the error of Outlook data file cannot be found.
What is Outlook?
As you might know, Outlook surfaces many different types of errors which are generally in an alphanumeric form of individual code along with the message about the error occurred. The error Unable to Send Email: Outlook data file cannot be accessed one of the most common error messages that occur while performing different kinds of activities especially of sending and receiving the emails. Although repairing of corrupted OST file and saving it as PST file is one of the solutions of resolving Outlook data file cannot be found the error. But apart from this, there are many other solutions to fix the Outlook file cannot be opened trouble.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Start Button Not Working
Possible Reasons for 0x8004010f Outlook 2017 error-
There are certain issues that interrupt Outlook from sending and receiving file that is as follows-
- Outlook PST data files are located at wrong place
- Outlook data files are moved to different location
- After upgrading the current outlook, file is corrupted
- Outlook profile is not being tested
Manual Methods to resolve Outlook data file cannot be found error
Let’s begin with different methods that are easy to follow to fix the problem of Outlook data file cannot be opened error.
Method 1- Keep Profile Method
- Step 1- Open Outlook then go to Account settings
- Step 2- Go to email tab and highlight the account with the problem. Then click on “Change folder”.
- Steps 3- Now click on New Outlook data file and create a temporary data file.
- Step 4- Enter a new name for your data file and click OK
- Step 5- Then expand the folders and select Inbox. Click ok to close the dialog box and go back to Account settings.
- Step 6- In account settings again click on Change folder
- Step 7- Re select the correct data file and folder that you want for your email message and then choose ok
- Step 8- Switch back to the data files and remove temporary PST file from the folder.
- Step 9- Close the dialog box of account settings and click send or receive option.
Well with these easy steps you are done fixing the Outlook data file cannot be opened error.
Method 2- Locate the default Outlook data file
- Step 1- Click on start button first. Then click on Control panel.
- Step 2- Click Mail in the control panel.
- Step 3- In the mail set up Outlook dialog box tap on the click “Show Profiles”.
- Step 4- Select the current outlook profile and then click on properties option.
- Step 5- In the dialog box of mail set up Outlook and click on data files.
- Step 6- In account settings, dialog box then selects the data files. Note the actual name and location of the default data file for your profile.
- Step 7- Finally click Close option
Yup, following above steps you can quickly fix the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error in no time. These steps can be used to fix the issue with any version of Outlook that is 2017 or 2013.
Method 3- Create a New Profile
This is the advanced fix method that can also be tried to resolve this issue of Outlook data file cannot be opened error.
- Step 1- To create a new profile, first, go to Control panel and then search for Mail.
- Step 2- Open the mail dialog box and tap on Show Profiles
- Step 3- Click on Add to create a new profile. Once the profile is created with a unique name delete the old one.
- Step 4- To add an account to your profile use Account auto set up option. Or in the new profile dialog box type a new profile name and Click OK. In the “Add new account” box you need to enter a valid email id and account information. Click Next.
- Step 5- In case you are using POP3 after then to add the account, you will need to tick on the change account setup option and then click Next. This option will allow you to use the old PST data file.
- Step 6- Now you can select the old data file and then exit the dialog box.
- Step 7- After when your account is successfully configured tap on Next to complete the process.
- Step 8-Restart the Outlook.
After restarting you can sit back and relax as the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error is fixed. And in no time you can again start back with sending and receiving your email.
Method 4- Manually Create IMAP or POP3 email account-
The above-mentioned method to create new account or profile was through an auto account set up method. But apart from this, another method that can be followed to resolve the Outlook data file cannot be found the issue is by manually creating a POP3 email account. The steps are almost same with slight variation so just keep on following-
- Step 1- Click on Start button and then go to Control Panel.
- Step 2- In the mail set up outlook box click on Show Profiles option.
- Step 3- In the mail dialog box on the General tab click on Add.
- Step 4- A New Profile dialog box will open. Type a profile name and then click OK.
- Step 5- In the Add new Account option or dialog box, select “Manually configure sever settings or additional server types. Then click on Next option to continue further.
- Step 6- Choose service dialog box will open. In it select Internet E-mail. Then again click on Next.
- Step 7- In the dialog box of Internet email settings, type your email account details.
- Step 8- Click on Test Account settings to test your account.
- Step 9- Now tap on Existing Outlook data files and then click on Browse.
- Step 10- In the dialog box of Outlook open data file browse to and then select the Outlook data file you previously located, now click on OK.
- Step 11- Again Click on Next.
- Step 12- The test account settings dialog box that is opened click on Close.
- Step 13- then finally click Finish.
Here you are with your Outlook data file cannot be accessed error being resolved following the above-mentioned steps. The steps are almost similar as above and also very easy to configure.
Advanced Fix Method-
- After when for once you have created a new Outlook profile, you must make sure that your old Outlook profile is deleted or completely removed. And also you must make sure that you are no longer receiving any further errors or corrupted PST emails to the newly assigned location you created.
- Well, even if after following all the above steps the same error message of Outlook data file cannot be accessed is repeating itself then try to remove your client from Control panel and then again re-install it.
The major cause of the “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” error is the corrupt Outlook profile. But you need not worry as the above all mentioned methods are surely going to heal your this problem of Outlook and are the full proved solutions towards your problem.