Microsoft Windows 10 with its astonishing features makes Windows users update their Windows operating system. Windows users while upgrading to Windows 10 have seen many errors but Windows 10 upgrade stuck at 99% is the most irritating error. Now if you have the same issue and don’t know how to fix it, then don’t worry here we are explaining you some quick fixes which will for sure help you. First, let us see the reasons behind the occurrence of this fatal issue.
Reasons why Windows 10 upgrade stuck at 99% installing.
The Windows 10 update assistant stuck at 99 error can happen due to various reasons. But most of the times it occurred because of following reasons-
- Some errors with Windows Update
- The pending Windows 7 updates.
- Hardware issue.
There can be any other reasons too, but the majority of them are these.
Fix windows 10 upgrade stuck at 99%
These are some important fixes that can help you.
Fix 1 – By Deleting Software Distribution Folder’s Content
The windows 10 update assistant stuck at 99 error is the most annoying error. To solve this error, you have to remove the contents of Software Distribution folder’s subfolder Downloads. A simple task that can help you to get rid of this critical mistake. To do that follow the below steps:
- Step 1. Open Run Dialogue Box on your Windows device. You can also use the shortcut Windows key + R key combination to open the run dialogue box.
- Step 2. In the Run, dialogue type the below-given command: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Here C is the root drive of the system. If the root drive of your system is different, then write the name of source drive instead of C.
- Step 3. Here you will see the content of Downloads folder, now delete all the content of this folder.
- Step 4. Now restart your system.
After restarting your device again try the installation process. We hope now you can easily update your Windows operating system.
Fix 2 – A Quick Batch File
By making a quick batch file can also help you in removing the windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99 installing error. To do that steps are:
- Step 1. Open the Notepad on your system.
- Step 2. In the Notepad type the below given text:
You can also copy it from here and paste it into notepad.
- Step 3. Now Save the file as Fix.bat (Remember the extension has to be .bat), keep it at that location of your system from where you can quickly locate it, that’s why saved it on the desktop of your system.
- Step 4. After that Right-click on file and from that option list select Run as Administrator option.
- Step 5. After the file has finished its process, restart your system.
After restarting your system, try the Windows update process again, and we hope now it will not give you an error like windows update stuck at 99 percent.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows 10 Taskbar not working
Fix 3 – Temporary Deactivation of Windows Update
If above-given methods didn’t help you and the windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99 percent error is still irritating you. So relax and try this approach, maybe it will help you. Here we will deactivate the Windows Update for some time. The steps how to disable Windows Update are:
- Step 1. Open Control Panel on your PC.
- Step 2. Select System and Security and after that select Windows Update and then click on Change Settings.
- Step 3. Now change the Windows Updates settings..
- Step 4. Uncheck “Giving me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates” and also uncheck “Giving me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” options.
- Step 5. Click OK > open the command prompt > run command prompt as admin.
- Step 6. Type net stop wuauserv command > Enter.
Now close the command prompt Window and try again upgrading your Windows and we hope this time you will not see Windows 10 update assistant stuck at 99. After upgrading your Windows system to start the Windows Update type, this command net start wuauserv on the command prompt Window. The Windows Update will activate again.
Fix 4 – By updating Windows 7 pending updates
The main reason for Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99 installing trouble can be the pending updates of Windows 7. So to solve the problem first check if all the updates are done or not. If not then you have to update them. The steps to do that:
- Step 1. Open the settings on your PC.
- Step 2. Now find Windows Update option, and click on it.
- Step 3. From there click on Check for updates option.
- Step 4. Now it will show you all the available updates for your Windows, update them.
After the updating process gets done, restart your system. Now after restarting your system try to upgrade your Windows system.
Fix 5 – By Using Media Creation Tool
If all the above methods didn’t help you in removing the windows 10-anniversary update stuck at 99 error, so the last rescue for you is to update your Windows by using Media Creation tool. The Media creation tools are there to help you by creating a setup file for Windows 10. It will assist you in reinstallation process. To fix this error by using Media creation tool steps are below:
- Step 1. Download the Media Creation tool on your system.
- Step 2. Now to install it on your system double click on it.
- Step 3. It will show you some details and instructions just follow them, till it will show you Windows 10 setup screen.
- Step 4. Now select upgrade this PC option and then click on Next button.
- Step 5. After finishing the downloading, click on Accept to agree to terms and conditions option.
Here make sure Keep personal files and application option is selected, as it is always selected by default. If you find that it is not selected then do select it by clicking on Change what to keep the option in the setup and change the settings.
- Step 6. Start the Windows 10 update by clicking on install button.
Now wait for some time the Windows 10 will quickly update and install on your system.
That’s it. We hope any of the above-explained methods help you and now you will successfully installed Windows 10 Update on your system. If you are still facing some issue in any of the methods, write to us.
Thanks for Reading!!