The usage of computers and other electronic gadgets is at its peak in today’s world. Users tend to overuse computers, and this eventually causes overheating of all in the internal components. The Windows Management Instrumentation Service (WMI provider host – WMIS) provider consumes the highest amounts of the CPU. The system has a particular usage limit, exceeding which causes troubleshooting problems and other discrepancies in the operating system. Windows 10 encounters troubleshooting problems most often than not due to high CPU usage.
In the majority of the systems, by default, the WMI runs via the main shared networking svchost process with several other services. Suppose it is a sychost process showing high CPU usage than the Task Manager and add PID column can be used to identify which sychost process has the memory usage. The command prompt can be used to type in the task list/svc and PID number to identify whether the sychost process is running a single service or multiple services.In such situations, the best thing to do is to break it open and take a close look at whether that is the one driving up high memory usage in the shared svchost process.
In the case of the WMI service, the user can break it easily while running it’s on the sychost process by following a particular set of steps. They must open the command prompt, run a particular command ‘scconfigwinmgmt type = own’ and then restart the WMI service. This will Fix WmiPrvSE.exe WMI Provider Host High CPU. Once this is done successfully, then the users can troubleshoot the WMI provider host high CPU usage on Windows 10. The WMI is a Windows Host Management Process which is mainly used by the developers for monitoring purposes. The troubleshooting error is seen in the Product Environment while upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10. During the upgrade, the CPU usage automatically spikes up, which makes the system extremely slow and starts to lag.
Also Read: How to Reset Windows 10
In order to Fix high CPU usage by WMI provider host users have to execute a particular set of commands in the command prompt and execute a few steps to ensure this problem does not occur again. Let us take a look at these steps to Fix WmiPrvSE.exe WMI Provider Host High CPU.
- Repair all the Corrupt Files– Users can download and install the Reimage Plus software. This software can be used to scan, repair and restore all the corrupt and missing files from The users can check whether the WMI Provider Host has high CPU usage drops. If not then they can try other alternatives.
- Restart the Windows Management Instrumentation Service– Repairing corrupt files may not work 80 percent of the times. In this case, users can employ a more efficient method to solve the troubleshooting issue. They can try restarting the WMI service itself. This will completely reset the whole OS and delete all data. This, in turn, will help reduce the CPU usage and should solve the problem. The WMI service can be reset by following a few simple steps.
- Hold down the Windows Key and then Press R. On doing so, a run dialog box will appear.
- Users must then type the command ‘services.msc’ in the run dialog.
- Users can then locate the WMI service from the service console. A simple way to do this is by just selecting a service and then pressing W to identify all the services that start with the letter ‘W.’
- Scroll down the list of services and select the WMI service.
- Right-click on the WMI service icon and select the Restart service option.
- This will restart the entire WMI service, and the issue should be resolved.
- The users can also stop the service if they want to, but this is not Restarting the WMI service will let the process run and fix the High CPU usage issue with that process.
Restart other Associated Services – Once the service console is accessible using the system.msc command in the run dialog, users can restart other services as well by their choice. In certain cases, there are some services other than the WMI provider host that causes high CPU usage. To restart any other service from the list of services, users can simply choose the service they want, right click on it, and select the restart service option.
Another way to do this would be to drag the mouse down to the bottom left corner, right-click on the Start button. A contextual menu will open, after which users can choose command prompt.They will have to type a few commands as given below, in the command prompt to ensure that this process takes place smoothly.
- net stop iphlpsvc
- net stop wscsvc
- net stop Winmgmt
- net start Winmgmt
- net start wscsvc
- net start iphlpsvc
These commands have to be entered into the command prompt window by the user in that exact order to ensure that the process takes place smoothly. Once this is done, the users will have to reboot their PC and check whether the problem persists. The majority of the times this technique is very effective. This will allow the CPU usage to drop down at least by half and the CPU to come back to normal functioning. In the worst case scenario, if this method fails then users can employ another technique which has also proved to be very effective in solving WMI Provider Host high CPU usage.
- Users can locate the Process viewer and find out which process is causing the most lag and CPU usage out of all the processes. Once the process is located, users can uninstall it from their systems for good. To perform this task smoothly, there are a few steps to follow. Let us take a look at them.
- The very first step is to open the Event Viewer.
- Users can click on the Start button and then select the Event viewer in the control panel.
- In Windows 10, this can be done by simply pressing the Windows logo key + X key to open the WinX Menu.
- This will yield the Event Viewer.
- Open Task Manager > Services > click on PID to arrange the processes by PID. Find the process with the matching process ID from Event Viewer. This is the process that is causing WMI high CPU Usage.
Thus, in the light of facts above about What is WmiPrvSE.exe, we can conclude that it is difficult but not impossible to fix this issue. One can follow this article thoroughly and try to fix this error. This will surely prove to be very useful for all those who are troubled due to this error.